Lumbar arthritis refers to the inflammation of the joints in the lower part of your spine. It can be symptomatic of various other forms of arthritis including osteoarthritis, psoriatic arthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis. More than 50 million Americans are currently living with some form of arthritis, which can be very painful and become more and more severe over time. New York Orthopaedic Spinal Associates has a top tier spine surgeon on Long Island that can help you work through your lumbar arthritis as well as any other spinal or back problems you may have!
Any type of arthritis can be painful. It could also lead to a larger impact on your daily life than you may like. This is especially true when it comes to Lumbar Arthritis, due to the chronic or lingering pain it may be causing. Below we have listed some signs and symptoms that you could be suffering from when it comes to lumbar arthritis:
- Chronic pain or soreness.
- Waking up with stiffness.
- Burning sensations after physical activity.
- Muscle spasms.
- Creaking sounds from your joints.
- Worsened mobility and range of motion.
If you notice any of these symptoms in your lower back around your spine, you have also likely been diagnosed with another form of arthritis or psoriasis.
Typical treatments for lumbar arthritis may include:
- Over-the-counter medications – Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs along with a pain killer.
- Prescribed medications – Corticosteroids to minimize inflammation or muscle relaxants to help with muscle spasms.
- Lifestyle changes – Losing weight, eating inflammation-reducing foods, reducing alcohol consumption, and quitting smoking.
- Physical therapy – This can help to increase and better your range of motion.
- Surgery – More likely to be utilized if the joints are heavily worn down and the bones are starting to rub or fuse.
How a Spine Surgeon on Long Island Can Help You:
If you require surgery to help correct your lumbar arthritis or any other back or spinal problem we recommend you consider receiving help from a spine surgeon on Long Island at New York Orthopaedic Spinal Associates. Our experienced doctors can help ensure you get the best treatment and are well taken care of when it comes to any back or spinal issues you might have. Contact us for more information.