What Is The Mckenzie Method For Back and Neck Pain?
Seeking Help From a Spine Surgeon in New York
Have you been experiencing persistent neck and back pain that has not been relieved after trying numerous methods of treatment? When an at-home regimen of rest, ice, and heat has not been enough, it’s time to turn to a professional for help. At New York Orthopaedic Spinal Associates, our team consists of experts who are well versed in treatment methods for neck and back pain. Dr. Chernoff, our spine surgeon in New York, can administer the Mckenzie Method to relieve your symptoms and get you back to being pain-free without the need for a more invasive treatment.
What Is The Mckenzie Method?
The Mckenzie Method is a form of physical therapy specifically targeted to help treat neck and back pain. This method focuses on decompressing and stretching out the spine, allowing patients to receive optimal pain relief. At its core, the Mckenzie Method should be used as a learning experience for the patient. It focuses on the assessment, treatment, and preventative strategies of back and neck pain, that allows patients to work on self-healing should similar issues arise in the future.
Mckenzie Method Goals
As previously stated, the main goal of the Mckenzie Method is to extend one’s spine, making pain easier to treat. It also focuses on promoting the body to heal itself from within. While other forms of physical therapy incorporate methods such as ice therapy, heat therapy, and electronic stimulation, the Mckenzie Method solely uses stretches and exercises to eliminate pain or other symptoms. By using active forms of treatment, it increases the long term outlook on pain management. Patients can continually use the stretches and exercise our spine surgeon in New York teaches them should neck and back pain continue to linger. Other goals of this method include:
- Offer immediate pain relief
- Reduce the risk of recurrent pain
- Limit the number of return visits that are necessary for treatment
- Allow patients to return to normal functional levels
Conditions Commonly Treated
When it comes to neck and back pain, multiple conditions can cause these symptoms to occur. Dr. Chernoff, our spine surgeon in New York, will diagnose your ailment, then move forward with the Mckenzie Method. The conditions this method treats are generally broken into three categories. These categories are inclusive of the below:
- Dearagenemt Syndromes: Those suffering from conditions that fall into these categories generally have their pain increased with repeated motion. They are the result of the spinal disks between each vertebrae being forced out of place due to a lack of space.
- Dysfunction Syndromes: These occur when scar tissue forms around the spine due to it being in a shortened state.
- Postural Syndromes: As the name suggests, conditions in this category focus on ones that cause postural issues. When a patient holds an incorrect posture for too long, the Mckenzie Method may be needed for realignment.
How a Spine Surgeon in New York Can Help You?
Patients who experience constant neck and back pain can have difficulties knowing where to turn for help. When no methods of treatment have been effective, it’s easy for hope to be at an all-time low. Fortunately, Dr. Chernoff and our team at New York Orthopedic Spinal Associates have the answer you need. The Mckenzie Method has been proven to be effective for many of our patients, and we would like to use it to help you as well. To learn more about this method, and how it can be used to help you, contact us today.